UKAEA Graduate Scheme September 2020
Job Ref: 4366
Job Title: UKAEA Graduate Scheme September 2020
Job type: Permanent Full Time
Location: Culham, Oxfordshire
Salary: £27,000 (starting salary) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension scheme
Closing date: Close date not set
The UK Atomic Energy Authority is the ideal place to make use of your skills, in areas from fusion technology research to autonomous systems.
The UK Atomic Energy Authority`s purpose is to deliver sustainable fusion energy and maximise scientific and economic impact.
Our graduate scheme will enable you to develop both general work-related skills and professional qualifications to excel in your chosen discipline.
We are still looking to recruit into the following disciplines. If you have a degree in an area not specified and feel you could apply your skills to one of the areas below
– Control & Instrumentation Engineering – Support in the design, installation, operation and enhancement of modular electronics, PLC systems and analogue and digital electronics at board and systems level
– Software Engineering – Support in maintaining and updating software, writing, configuring and testing of control, data acquisition, analysis and archiving systems
– Electrical/ Electronic Engineering – Support in the maintenance, repair and provision of upgrades/refurbishments to major parts of the pulsed power supplies plant (400/36KV), as well as producing electrical equipment designs from specifications
– Mechanical Engineering – Support by performing a variety of engineering tasks to include systems analysis, design and review, operational analysis as well as repair and recovery of existing equipment
– Civil Engineering – Support the Project Management of a portfolio of Construction and Refurbishment work, from inception through to completion
– Business support including Finance and QSHE
Within our two-year scheme, 20% of your working time will be dedicated to graduate training and development. The remaining 80% is spent in a job role in one of the above areas. Within the 20% there is a core suite of tasks and activities designed to develop your professional skills. Elements of this programme are flexible and can be tailored to your personal development needs and to those of your specific job role.
The scheme provides you with a mentor who will help to develop your career and experience.
We also encourage and support you to achieve professional accreditation. Our scheme is accredited by the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), the Institute of Engineering & Technology (IET) and the Institute of Physics (IoP) as a professional development scheme.
At UKAEA we strive to make everyone feel welcome and fully supported. Our Ambassadors are actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion to help make our organisation an employer of choice. UKAEA has a graded career structure and our mentoring scheme will enable you to reach your true potential.
The UKAEA hosts and operates the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment on behalf of the EU and is also home to the UK`s MAST-U fusion energy experiment. UKAEA also works with industry and other third parties to develop new technologies currently in Remote Handling and Materials research. Following recent UK funding, two new centres of excellence in tritium fuel handling and component testing and validation are being built. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading edge technological excellence, whilst investing in its people.
Knowledge skills and experience
You will have recently graduated or due to graduate with a relevant degree in the specialisms outlined above.
You should have good interpersonal skills, helping you to work well with others.
You`ll need to be proactive and self-motivated to develop yourself to your full potential.
All applications received are reviewed and a shortlisting is completed by a varied panel from different disciplines and backgrounds.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend an Assessment Centre where applicants will have the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities and managers will be able to assess the graduates in different situations that includes:
– Individual presentation
– Technical interview
– Group exercises
Prior to the assessment centre, shortlisted candidates will need to complete a short video interview on motivation and potentially a technical telephone interview.
Please note: all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance.
The UK Atomic Energy Authority actively promotes equality and values diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role, please discuss with the hiring manager or HR if you have any concerns.
- Salary £20,000 ~ £30,000
- Experience Level Junior