The Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) is looking for up to two independent, part-time, non-executive Director to join the NERC Management Board (NMB). NERC carries out and supports environmental science research in its Research Centres and through funding research carried out in Universities and with other partners. NMB supports the NERC Executive Chair in the day to day management of NERC.
As an NMB non-executive director you will also sit on other NERC committees as required. Currently, these are the NERC Centres’ Assurance Boards and the NERC Assurance Board.
Your role will primarily be to
- Scrutinise the performance of management in meeting agreed organisational goals and objectives;
- Fully participate in assurance of the organisation
- Challenge management on decision-making
- Challenge and scrutinise financial information and ensure that financial controls and systems of risk management and assurance are robust and defensible.
To carry out this role effectively, you will be expected to:
- Visit our Research Centres and Swindon Office better to understand their work
- Share your leadership skills and experiences with fellow NMB members and other leaders in NERC
- Engage with members of NERC Council and other NERC committees as opportunities arise
- Provide independent views on the leadership of key NERC activities, where appropriate
Ideally with experience of managing in a large, complex organisation and an interest in environmental or other sciences, you should be able to demonstrate that you have the skills and experience to help NERC and NMB improve its performance.
In return, as well as offering the opportunity to develop your skills and experience in a new setting, we offer a remuneration package of £9,000 per annum (where eligible) together with reasonable travel and subsistence costs (in line with organisational policies) for carrying out the role. The appointment is for a period of three years in the first instance, which may be extended subject to annual performance review.
For further information on roles and responsibilities, the full person specification and details on how to apply please see the application pack.
The closing date for the receipt of applications is 12:00 (midday) 6 July
Interviews will be held in London on 1 and 2 October 2020.
The successful candidate will be expected to attend their first meeting on 25 November 2020 to facilitate a handover of responsibilities.
NERC is committed to the principle of public appointment with openness and transparency of process and to providing equal opportunities for all, irrespective of race, age, disability, gender, marital status, religion, sexual orientation, transgender and working patterns. NERC is particularly keen to ensure diversity in membership of its boards and committees.
Any queries should be addressed to: email@example.com
- Experience Level Manager
- Twitter Handle @NERCscience