The Department of Mechanical Engineering is looking to hire a Director of Student Experience to manage and lead the teaching of our Undergraduate cohort in conjunction with the Senior Tutor and Director of Undergraduate Studies. The role is essential to providing positive initiatives for the engagement of our students and staff in taught courses and will work closely with students to understand their educational and pastoral needs, providing innovative solutions to challenges that arise.
A member of the Department Management Committee, the postholder will be instrumental in strategic decision making on student matters, whilst also contributing to the overall College’s educational mission. Through work with the Senior Tutor and Student Wellbeing Advisor, the postholder will monitor wellbeing and pastoral care of our undergraduate population, whilst also leading as the student contact on Equality, Diversity and Inclusion matters.
The Department currently hosts around 600 Undergraduate students on our four-year, fully accredited, Mechanical Engineering programme and 40 postgraduate taught students on a one-year Master’s degree. We currently teach via a multi-mode delivery, enhanced by recent changes and Government guidelines. This role will also manage the delivery of teaching through our Teaching Fellows and Academic staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
- You will work with existing Faculty and Department teams to provide the best pastoral and wellbeing care for our students, and representing them in EDI matters
- Your monitoring of student satisfaction of our teaching methods will help inform the development of innovative approaches to teaching
- You will be responsible for developing the teams and staff involved in teaching from across the department.
- You will provide strategic leadership in curriculum design, maintaining consistency with the aims of the Learning and Teaching strategy in College.
- You will engage in teaching, tutorials and project management
- You will assist in the management of the Undergraduate teaching office, including Administrators and Teaching Fellows.
Skills, knowledge and experience
It is essential that you hold a degree and appropriate postgraduate qualification in an Engineering discipline related to our course and teaching provision. In addition, you should have a recognised teaching qualification in Higher Education learning.
- Substantial relevant experience in an education leadership role, for example at a Secondary, Further or Higher education establishment, is essential
- The ability to deliver teaching, supervising and assessing at an undergraduate and postgraduate level is essential
How To Apply
Salary: £62,271 to £67,767 per annum
We are looking for this role to begin over the summer of 2021, ready for the intake of new students in the 2021-22 Academic year.
Our preferred method of application is via our website. Please visit our website using the provided link for more information about the post and the application process.